parish Vidoši is situated in the south-east (Map)
of a district Livno (Livno
on Wikipedia), on a spring of a river Struba and it is surrounded by Tušnica´s
last census of 1991 there were 3021 inhabitants. A large number of parishoners
first emigrated to USA, then to Belgium and France. In the 60's and 70's they
emigrated to Germany, Austria and some other countries.
is the oldest catholic parish in the Livno area. The name Vidoši was first documented
in the year 1742. These documents stated that the religious widow, Vidošević,
had left land, in her will, to the Franciscan order of monks for them to build
first church, and a church residence, in its original form, was a very basic structure.
However, in 1801, the whole building was burnt down to the ground. In 1833 the
new church residence was a more robust structure, built with stone.
1853, Father Lovro Karaula, one of the most well known Bosnian Franciscan Monks,
obtained permission, (bujruntija and ferman) from the Turkish authorities, to
build a church in Vidoši. The Turkish authorities also gave permission, at this
time, to build a church in Gorica, in the Livno region. The building of the church
in Vidoši began in 1854 and was completed, 2 years later, in 1856.
following places belonged to the Vidoši parish: Grabovica (Duvno) until 1826,
Livno until 1849. and Podhum until 1909. The oldest ruins date back to 1801 and
are kept in Franciscan Monerstry in Gorica.
river Sturba is 14.5 km long and provides water for the surrounding area.The source
of the river is found in the village of the the same name. In recent years it
has become popular with young campers.
well known tourist excursion, in the parish of Vidoši, is up the mountain Tušnica.
Tušnica is rich with coal which has been mined since 1888. It is 1697m high, this
makes is particularly attractive to paragliders. There is one Paragliding Club
called 'Krila Livna'.
the beginning of the war, in Bosnia and Herzegovina, on 7th of May 1992., the
transmitters, on Tušnica, were destroyed, by the Yugoslavian army's bombarding.
In the 1947 electricity was installed in Vidoši and in the same year the Cultural
Hall was built.
the 50's and 60's the Cultural Hall was used for screening of films and as a meeting
place for young people. Later on the Cultural Hall was used for concerts and similar